The Popcorn Guide

The Popcorn Guide

Popcorn Rating System

Movie Rating Guide

Unpopped Kernals = Terrible Movie = 0 - 1.5 stars
Burnt Popcorn = Bad Movie = 2 - 4 stars
Plain Popcorn = Ok Movie = 4.5 - 5.5 stars
Kettle Corn = Good Movie = 6 - 7 stars
Buttered Popcorn = Very Good Movie = 7.5 - 8.5 stars
Movie Theater Popcorn = Awesome Movie = 9 - 9.5 stars
Bag Of Half-popped Kernals = Hall of Fame = 10 stars

Monday, February 4, 2008

Swingers (1996)


Synopsis

Title: Swingers (1996)

Genre: Comedy/Drama

Rating: R

Running Time: 96 Minutes

Director: Doug Liman

Main Actors: Jon Favreau, Vince Vaughn, Ron Livingston, Heather Graham, Brooke Langton

Plot: This is a story about Mike, a guy who left his girl in New York when he came to LA to be a star. It's been six months since he left his girlfriend and he's not doing so good. So his best pal Trent and some other friends try and get him back in the social scene and forget about his 6 year relationship.

My Take

This is the definition of the dating scene during the 90’s. It is the most down to earth, true-to-form movie I have ever seen. Although I personally didn’t hit the party scene much, it does bring back memories of my college days. It’s not something I really desire to go back to at this time, but at the same time it was a great experience. Swingers is hilarious, but it is also an excellent story about relationships. What’s the last time you could say that a movie was hilarious with a great story in the same sentence? Swingers was shot on a small budget, but it was done expertly. The swing music was great and it actually brought back swing music in the late 90’s. Everything about this movie, in my eyes, was simply magnificent. I’ll talk about Vince’s performance in a bit, but Jon Favreau and company did an excellent job as well. Great job by director Doug Liman. Everybody was awesome. I own this movie, and it is one of the few movies that I will go back and see over and over again. Several scenes stood out, but especially the last scene, which may be the best last scene in any movie. Swingers is awesome. In fact, it might be my favorite movie of all time. That’s my take.

What About Vince?

This is Vince’s best performance to date. In fact, I think he could go on to star in movies for the next 50 years and he would still be remembered for his part in Swingers. He does simply an amazing job as Trent. This was undoubtedly a springboard for his career.


Should You Watch???

There is quite a bit of language in the film, so that could turn some off I guess. This is a guy’s-guy movie. I can’t speak on behalf of the women, but I will say that this movie will hit home with every young man. It’s so much more than a simple comedy. This movie is about relationships more than anything else. Girls you should be able to watch this one and enjoy it as well. You might learn something about guys unless of course you already have us all figured out. Do yourself a favor and watch Swingers. Guess what? It’s back-to-back Hall of Fame movies. Don’t expect that streak to continue.

Popcorn Rating

Bag of Half-Popped Kernels

2 comments:

David said...

I am surprised that you liked Swingers so much. I must say that I really liked it too. Have you seen Made written and directed by Jon Favreau? I saw that movie just after seeing Swingers. I was less impressed, but it is interesting because its the same duo.

Mike said...

I did watch Made and I liked that one very much as well. I just think those two guys have a great chemistry together on the big screen.