The Popcorn Guide

The Popcorn Guide

Popcorn Rating System

Movie Rating Guide

Unpopped Kernals = Terrible Movie = 0 - 1.5 stars
Burnt Popcorn = Bad Movie = 2 - 4 stars
Plain Popcorn = Ok Movie = 4.5 - 5.5 stars
Kettle Corn = Good Movie = 6 - 7 stars
Buttered Popcorn = Very Good Movie = 7.5 - 8.5 stars
Movie Theater Popcorn = Awesome Movie = 9 - 9.5 stars
Bag Of Half-popped Kernals = Hall of Fame = 10 stars

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Becoming Jane (2007)


Synopsis

Title: Becoming Jane (2007)

Genre: Drama

Rating: PG

Running Time: 120 Minutes

Director: Julian Jarrold

Main Actors: Anne Hathaway, James McAvoy, Julie Walters, James Cromwell, Maggie Smith, Joe Anderson

Plot: Becoming Jane follows the life of early 19th century writer Jane Austen. The movie is loosely based on fact, but the story about her personal life is somewhat unknown. Austin is credited for writing 6 novels including huge successes Pride and Prejudice and Emma. The movie was edited for re-rating and was originally PG-13.

My Take

I have a feeling that although this was not exactly my favorite type of movie, Becoming Jane will be hugely popular among females. I know my sisters will love this movie. I say it isn’t exactly my type of movie because I found it slow and boring at times. I also think it is a little bit too wordy. I know that Austen is known for her humor in her books and witty dialogue, but it got a little annoying to me. The storyline is familiar and good although I think the I-love-you-I-love-you-not can get a little tiresome. The costume design team did a good job making the costumes and set look 2 centuries old. I have no real complaints about the acting or directing. With this movie, you get about what you expect going in to the movie.

Should You Watch???

If you like Pride and Prejudice, you should love this movie. They are very similar. Could this be because Jane Austen wrote Pride and Prejudice? I actually prefered Pride and Prejudice to this movie, but I thought both were pretty good. This movie clearly attracts the female audience, but it is watchable if you are male. If you are a guy and want to do something nice for your female partner, offer to watch Becoming Jane. Just be aware that you may want to check the sports ticker on your computer or phone when the movie hits a dead spot.

Popcorn Rating

Kettle Corn

1 comment:

David said...

Nice. It is a shame that Vince Vaughn wasn't in it right. I think I would like this and I say that from a guys perspective. I liked Pride and Prejudice so I guess I would probably like this too. It is not my "type" of movie, but I like good movies so if this one is and Megan would love it then I am all for it.