The Popcorn Guide

The Popcorn Guide

Popcorn Rating System

Movie Rating Guide

Unpopped Kernals = Terrible Movie = 0 - 1.5 stars
Burnt Popcorn = Bad Movie = 2 - 4 stars
Plain Popcorn = Ok Movie = 4.5 - 5.5 stars
Kettle Corn = Good Movie = 6 - 7 stars
Buttered Popcorn = Very Good Movie = 7.5 - 8.5 stars
Movie Theater Popcorn = Awesome Movie = 9 - 9.5 stars
Bag Of Half-popped Kernals = Hall of Fame = 10 stars

Monday, February 11, 2008

The Locusts (1997)

Synopsis

Title: The Locusts (1997)

Genre: Drama

Rating: R

Running Time: 125 Minutes

Director: John Patrick Kelley

Main Actors: Kate Capshaw, Vince Vaughn, Jeremy Davies, Ashley Judd, Paul Rudd

Plot: A young drifter, Clay Hewitt, wanders onto a ranch run by a bossy widow named Delilah Potts. Clay asks for a job on the ranch and discovers Delilah and her son have deep problems. Also released under the title A Secret Sin, The Locusts marked the feature debut of writer and director John Patrick Kelley

My Take

I don’t have much to say about this movie. It is not terrible, but there are few redeeming qualities about the film at the same time. Ashley Judd looks good and Vince Vaughn does a good job with his part. You might remember Jeremy Davies (Flyboy) from Saving Private Ryan. He’s become known for playing the role of a victimized and conflicted young man and he did a decent job. Kate Capeshaw played her role as b*tch well. Smoking was so prevalent in the movie that it became part of the storyline; it was annoying to me. Nothing stood out to me as being great or really even good for that matter. I won’t give anything away and I won’t go into why it is, but I will say that the ending was simply awful. I felt depressed for after the movie in part because of the story and in part because I wasted two hours of my life watching the film.

What About Vince?

Vince Vaughn had a starring role and did a good job. He plays the drifter who was looking for work and found it at a ranch. He befriends the son of the widow at the ranch and much of the movie is about their relationship. He does a good job playing the cool and concerned friend. He has past problems of his own and does a decent job showing emotion, although I don’t think anyone will call that his strong suit as far as acting is concerned. I liked Vince in this movie, but his performance was not so great that I’d say you need to watch the movie for his performance.

Should You Watch???

Umm… I guess you should watch if you think Ashley Judd is hot and that is good enough for you. I guess you should watch if you are doing a movie month on Vince Vaughn. I guess you should watch if your cable goes out, you have nothing else to do, you have two hours to waste, and an extra two hours of sleep doesn’t entice you. In all other instances, I’d say you don’t want to watch this movie.

Popcorn Rating

Plain Popcorn

2 comments:

David said...

Sounds like a dud. I hit a few of these on the Vincent D'Onofrio Month, so it is bound to happen. I will take your advice and avoid The Locusts. It sounds more like a 80s B-movie horror flick than a drama. I guess even the name is disappointing.

Mike said...

There was an one obscure reference to locusts, but I honestly can't even remember what it was.