The Popcorn Guide

The Popcorn Guide

Popcorn Rating System

Movie Rating Guide

Unpopped Kernals = Terrible Movie = 0 - 1.5 stars
Burnt Popcorn = Bad Movie = 2 - 4 stars
Plain Popcorn = Ok Movie = 4.5 - 5.5 stars
Kettle Corn = Good Movie = 6 - 7 stars
Buttered Popcorn = Very Good Movie = 7.5 - 8.5 stars
Movie Theater Popcorn = Awesome Movie = 9 - 9.5 stars
Bag Of Half-popped Kernals = Hall of Fame = 10 stars

Friday, January 18, 2008

John Q. (2002)


Synopsis

Title: John Q. (2002)

Genre: Drama

Rating: PG-13

Running Time: 116 Minutes

Director: Nick Cassavetes

Main Actors: Denzel Washington, Kimberly Elise, Daniel E. Smith, James Woods, Robert Duval, Anne Hache

Plot: Is there a national health care crisis in the United States? When a man’s son is stricken with a heart condition, he is not able to pay for the operation. He decides he must take matters into his own hands.

My Take

I heard really good things about this movie, so when I saw it on tv I used my good old DVR. Let me begin with what I didn’t like so much about this movie. Firstly, although Denzel did an excellent job as always, the rest of the actors did average at best. Kimberly Elise received recognition for her acting in this movie, but I didn’t feel it warranted attention although she was probably better than the rest of the cast. It was a drama but it almost felt like a documentary on the health care system. I felt like the movie should be intense, but it felt more like watching a video in health class. I found it amusing when Denzel beats the crap out of one of the hostages and the other hostages were laughing. I know they wanted to show that his character was a nice guy, the hostages liked him and he was just put in a bad situation, but I don’t see any hostages laughing in this situation and it makes the whole movie almost a mockery. The cheering crowd outside? Give me a break. Let me be clear, this movie was more about sending a message than it was about telling a great story. Those two things should be the same, but they aren’t always. I felt the plot had some obvious question marks. I made it sound like this is a terrible movie, but it’s not. I actually liked this movie for the most part. It will make you think about the health care system in our country, and you will feel for Denzel and his family. Things are not always black and white, and this movie drives home that point.

Should You Watch???

I think you should watch this movie. Denzel is an awesome actor and he gives a very good performance here. I think about another Denzel Washington movie, Inside Man, which was a very good movie dealing with a hostage situation only he was on the outside instead of the inside. I realize I was pretty harsh on my take, but it was only because I expected something a little better than what I got. It was entertaining enough despite it’s flaws for me to give you the go ahead to watch this movie.

Popcorn Rating

Kettle Corn

1 comment:

David said...

That is what happens when you go into a movie with such high expectations. I did not have high expectations for John Q and I still thought that it was decent but not great. It almost seemed confusing who was actually a good guy and a bad guy. Maybe I just saw it too close to when I saw Training Day. Anyway, this was a fair review I think.