The Popcorn Guide

The Popcorn Guide

Popcorn Rating System

Movie Rating Guide

Unpopped Kernals = Terrible Movie = 0 - 1.5 stars
Burnt Popcorn = Bad Movie = 2 - 4 stars
Plain Popcorn = Ok Movie = 4.5 - 5.5 stars
Kettle Corn = Good Movie = 6 - 7 stars
Buttered Popcorn = Very Good Movie = 7.5 - 8.5 stars
Movie Theater Popcorn = Awesome Movie = 9 - 9.5 stars
Bag Of Half-popped Kernals = Hall of Fame = 10 stars

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Punch-Drunk Love (2002)


Title: Punch-Drunk Love (2002)

Genre: Romantic Comedy (?)

Rating: R

Running Time: 95 Minutes

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

Main Actors: Adam Sandler, Emily Watson, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Luis Guzman, Mary Lynn Rajskub

Plot: The plot is to be weird. The movie follows a guy who has some kind of personality disorder.

My Take

This is a romantic comedy? Really? Doesn't that mean it is supposed to be romantic and funny? I'd even settle for romantic OR funny. Weird. I don't know if I was drunk when I was watching this movie, but I'm pretty sure the director was drunk while he was directing this movie. Paul Thomas Anderson was named best director for his work on this movie? Who the hell was presenting that award? I will make it a point to avoid ALL Paul Thomas Anderson films in the future.

Should You Watch???

This movie is not for the masses. I actually don't know who the target audience is for this movie. I really tried to like this movie. I really, really tried. I tried really hard to understand all the weird lighting, sounds, dialogue, locations, plot, etc. I gave this movie chance, but it's just not good. Avoid this movie at all costs.

Popcorn Rating

Burnt Popcorn

1 comment:

David said...

I don't want to ruin your bash parade, but this was a great movie. It could have been better and it could have appealed to more people, but I think you were a little harsh on it.

However, if you do not like this movie then I would think you are right in avoiding most of his other works. Boogie Nights would not be your flick and Magnolia is as weird and good (if not better) as Punch-Drunk Love.

I am going to see There Will Be Blood and I have only heard good things. How can you go wrong with Daniel Day Lewis though? I think maybe you should give this one a try and see what you think before the verdict is out about Paul Thomas Anderson.