The Popcorn Guide

The Popcorn Guide

Popcorn Rating System

Movie Rating Guide

Unpopped Kernals = Terrible Movie = 0 - 1.5 stars
Burnt Popcorn = Bad Movie = 2 - 4 stars
Plain Popcorn = Ok Movie = 4.5 - 5.5 stars
Kettle Corn = Good Movie = 6 - 7 stars
Buttered Popcorn = Very Good Movie = 7.5 - 8.5 stars
Movie Theater Popcorn = Awesome Movie = 9 - 9.5 stars
Bag Of Half-popped Kernals = Hall of Fame = 10 stars

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Reign Over Me (2007)


Synopsis

Title: Reign Over Me (2007)

Genre: Drama

Rating: R

Running Time: 128 Minutes

Director: Mike Binder

Main Actors: Adam Sandler, Don Cheadle, Jada Pinkett Smith, Liv Tyler, B.J. Novak

The Plot: Alan Johnson (Don Cheadle) runs into his old college roommate who lost his family in the 9/11 attack. The story is about love, friendship, and healing.





My Take

First off, Adam Sandler did a standout job in this movie. I knew Adam Sandler from great comedies such as Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore, but I think his performance in this movie is his best yet. I’m a big Adam Sandler fan, and I’m also a big Don Cheadle fan. He was great in Hotel Rwanda and I like him in this movie as well. He shows a little of his humor, which was nice. However, not all the acting was great. The two actors who played Adam Sandler’s inlaws gave perhaps the worst performance I’ve ever seen, especially the mother-in-law. Please, I could make better facial expressions lady! Thankfully they were minor characters in what I found to be an entertaining story. It was also funny to watch B.J. Novak’s, Ryan from The Office, character get scolded by the judge.

Should You Watch???

This is worth a watch if only to see Sandler’s performance, but it is much more than just him, and it is well worth the watch. The movie touches various emotions ranging from anger, humor, sadness and sympathy. It was not a perfect film and I think the director could have done a better job overseeing some details, but over all I thought it was a very solid film. It’s rated R, so it won’t be a kids movie. Adults should be able to appreciate this movie for the depth of the main character. We should sympathize with the anguish and pain he endures and be proud of the strong bonding friendship of a man who sees a former roommate in need of help.

Popcorn Rating

Buttered Popcorn

3 comments:

David said...

I liked this movie a lot and both Adam and Don did a great job, but there a few instances that I thought Adam Sandler could have shown more emotion. Great review, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sandler really was pretty great here. Although, I still prefer his performance in Punch Drunk Love over anything else he's done. Give that one a look if you haven't seen it already.

Mike said...

I actually have not seen that one yet. That is a great recommendation. I will definitely give that a look.